Tuesday 28 April 2015

Perm rods: curling your hair without heat.

Hiiiii, hope you're having a nice day. As I said in the last post, my first article was supposed to be on my hair regimen but I got carried away, lol. hope that was helpful though. So, back to real business. I will be sharing with you a way of achieving fabmazing curls on your kinky hair or rather, type 4 hair. Rocking your relaxed hair? not to worry, you're most welcome because this method also helps to curl relaxed hair. Ill be explaining how to achieve maximum and beautiful curls without necessarily applying heat- the use of perm rods.
I follow a couple of hair...should I say pages? well, lol, biko help me find what to say. sha, I natural follow hair people on instagram and there was this fuss about perm rods (there still is). I saw a few videos and pictures and decided I wanted to try them out. God knows I was longing to have the result the ladies on the gram had and the next issue was where to get the perm rods. I went to www.olori.com.ng and I found that they had it in stock so I was going to place an order for it but for some reason, I did not that morning. I eventually went to a salon around and alas! they had it though it looked a little different from the ones I had seen online but I thought "all na perm rod" until I recently found out the difference which Ill share later. There are 12 pieces in a pack and I bought 3 packs and it retails for #300-#350 in Nigeria. Please do not buy it if it exceeds #400.
this is what mine looks like.
so, I started off on an already washed hair and these are the products and tools I used to roll my hair:
 1. tropic isle living leave in conditioner and detangler
I started off by detangling my hair. because of the strong scent of this product, I mixed it with water in a spritz bottle (I converted my finished air freshener bottle to a spritz bottle) hence the mixture served as a leave in conditioner, detangler and moisturizer. water is the basic moisturizer. I sprayed my hair just enough but I was careful not to allow it to get too wet and then I finger combed my hair gently. 
2. coconut oil
I then locked the moisture with my coconut oil. this step is as important as the previous step. It is important to know that oils are not moisturizers but they help to trap in as much moisture in your hair hence the need to use oils after moisturizing. you can make use of other oils. One of my favorites is the Jamaican black castor oil popularly known as JBCO. They (coconut oil and JBCO)  are available at www.olori.com.ngwww.naturalnigerian.com and www.konga.com they deliever nationwide.
3. shea butter:
I then sealed with my shea butter. I so love shea butter that I dont know if I am willing to try out another butter. I can be conservative. The shea butter and the coconut oil pictures were gotten from the web. I got mine from the market so I put it in the ice cream container in the previous picture. you can get shea butter from the websites above or the nearest market to you. its super affordable and EXTREMELY useful. By now, you should have noticed that I used the LOC method. For those who do not understand, I'll do another post on it. having done these, I was ready to set my hair.
4. I sectioned my hair into 4 parts which I combed individually and packed in a bun with yarn.
I made use of a wide tooth comb to avoid breakage. This has being recommended by all natural hair enthusiasts, bloggers and professionals. Ditch your regular comb and treat your hair to a seamless wide tooth comb.
I prefer using yarn (AKA wool) to pack my hair because I discovered that rubber bands rip off my hair each time i pull them off and it just sucks.

5. Pathene truly natural hair defining curls styling custard:
this is my current curling product though Im looking to getting a better product and your suggestions are welcome. I then loosen one bun and part into several other portions. depending on how you want your curls to be, the smaller the sections, the curlier (if there's any word like that) it gets. so, I pick a section, twirl the hair like i want to do a bantu knot and then roll my hair on the rod. I then secure it with the "lock". It is also important to know that the manner in which you roll the hair would determine the end result. You may decide not to even twirl the hair and just roll it like that and you may also decide to twist your hair before curling it. either ways, you would get beautiful curls at the end.
so, this is what it looked like after i rolled it.
I left it overnight in order to let it get dried. it is unsafe to remove your perm rods while your hair is still wet or moist as it will affect the curls. to take it down, I oil my hands with coconut oil or even shea butter, gently and carefully remove the perm rods by  removing the lock and rolling it in the reverse. then i gently part the curls,fluff till i get my desired style then use my wide tooth comb to pick the roots and voila! i have my beautiful curls without heat.

I hope this post is well detailed and you enjoyed it. kindly let me know what you think in the comment section. you can also follow me on instagram @deola_f. If the pictures are not clear,  you can click on them.
thanks,
Dee.



p.s:Your crown is your hair, be proud of your crown, and BeYouTiful.

2 comments:

  1. Perfect curls at the end. Simply beautiful, love it

    ReplyDelete